|Initially I blamed the Xaircraft quad frame for being unstable which is why I moved back to a hexa setup. But I think the really problem is the low kv motor that I was using and how it was unable to show its true potential with a 3s lipo. I have not tried using a 4s lipo so I cannot prove my theory about the motors, but I will be getting some new lipo battery soon. The reason why I think this is because I tried using a set of 10×5 Graupner Props on my Tarot hexa and I was barely able to get it off the ground at 100% throttle. Whereas my ATG 600 hexa frame had no problems with the same props, but the only difference is the motors. The ATG 600 has a set of 2216 900KV T-Motors, but now I am using 3506 650kv T-Motors. With the 900kv motor I could get about 9990 rpm but with the 650kv motor I would max out at 7215 rpm. So if I use a 4s lipo my rpm will be about 9620.
Before I move to a higher cell count battery I tried many variations of props and even with a 13×6.5 props I was not 100% happy with the results. I think the length and pitch of the props is very deceiving. Because a Gemfan 11×4.7 props has more lift than any of the 12 inch props I used, like the GemFan 12×4.5 and Graupner 12×6. If you were able to see the props in person you can see why the Gemfan 11×4.7 props has more lift. It is because it has a larger surface area compared to the 12″ props I tested.
As for this new Tarot frame, I have read about a few problems people are having with it. The first is the clips where the folding arms locks into. Some people say that the clips crack and break on the first uses. Another problem is the folding landing gear. It folds over if you do not land perfectly and the legs are now very strong.
So far the clips are doing fine for me but if it fails I will make some new one out of Delrin. As for the landing gear, I did not use the folding legs. I used the U shape plastic one from my Xaircraft. I really like how the folding legs looked but I wanted something that was more reliable.
So here is the first picture of the Tarot FY680 and the box it came in. It is really interesting to see how the Tarot FY680 frame came in such a small box.
Like with most frame out there you will need your own distribution board, so I took the one I used in the Xaircraft 650 frame and used on here. The board worked out perfectly because the routed the wires through the hole in the center of the distribution board.
If you pay close attention you see that I use 4 dampers on top of the distribution board. The dampers is for the Flight Controllers that will be mounted on top. The distribution board and dampers does NOT come with the kit.
Here are the 3506 650KV T-motors with a wire cover that I put on it to protect it in case of a crash or from it rubbing against the carbon fiber tube. Since carbon fiber is conductive it can cause a short if any 2 bare wires touch it. Even though I filed the edges of the CF tubes I is still possible the tube cut in the the wires.
This is a better view of the motor and the wires routed inside the CF tubes.
Here is the frame ready to fly with GemFan 11×4.7 props.
Here is view from the bottom of the frame
One of the important feature I needed is something where I can fold the arms. So in this picture you can see arms open and spread out.
Now the arms are folded together.
I am not sure what happen but one of the 3506 T-motors I purchased came with the wrong prop adaptor. Instead of a 6mm, I got an adapter with a 5mm shaft. I emailed the seller and they quickly sent me a replacement adaptor. It was not GetFPV.com fault because the motor was in a sealed box when I got it. But still they were able to fix my problem very quickly.
Even though people were saying that a 12″ prop was the largest they can fit on the Tarot 680 frame I wanted to try the 13″ props anyways. As you can see in the picture below I have about 13.71 mm or 1/2 inch clearance between the 2 props. I know that I should have more space but I will try it anyways because all my 12 inch props are not giving me enough lift.
The props I am using here are GemFan carbon fiber 13×6.5. As of now these are the best props I have that works pretty well with a 3s lipo.
Here is my current Naza Setting:
- Xaircraft x650 v4 (Ground Station)
- Tarot FY680 Hexacopter (Y6 Conversion)