The first thing I need to do is open up a hole in the chassis to the right because I had to convert from a belt driven differential to a gear. The gear diffs has a larger diameter and that is why I needed to make hole.
Since I had another chassis to copy from it was very easy for me to make the hole. I placed the chassis on top of each other and traced it.
Here is the problem after I cut open the hole, the chassis I am using it a bit thinner than the new chassis. So when I mount the differential the gear sticks out past the bottom of the chassis. If the car ever bottoms out the diff gear will rub against the floor. I made these 2 little aluminum spacers to lift the diff up.
Here is the differential mounted on the chassis with the spacers.
Next up is the intermediate shaft mount. Since I do not have the tools to boar a hole exactly the same size as the bearing on to a flat piece of aluminum, I had to find another way to build in the bearings. I started with a round bar of 7075 aluminum.
Here you can see the hole I bored out for the bearing.
To make the intermediate shaft mount as strong as possible I plan to embed this end inside the motor mount. I was able to drill a hole this size on to the motor mount with a hole saw.
Test fitting the intermediate shaft to make sure the bearings are sitting straight
This is the motor mount that is made of out 1/2 inch thick 6061 aluminum. The next thing I will do is use a hole saw to open a hole of the intermediate shaft mount.
Here is the intermediate shaft and motor mount being test fitted to the diff.
The 1/2 inch motor mount is a bit too think because the motor’s shaft is not long enough to stick out for the pinion to be screwed on. Â Here you can see I thinned out the motor mount .
On the other side I milled out a slot so the motor can be adjusted to use different pinion/spur combinations.
Here are a few pictures of the Castle 2200KV motor mounted
The next problem I encounter is the differential mount not reaching the upper chassis. I guess the stock EP1 diff mount is different. In this pictures you can see where I plan to cut, which is showing by a red line.
This is a mock up of the replacement top chassis overlay I will be making.
Test fitting the top chassis overlay.